Braces - My Story !

21:22

Okay... It all started back in 2004, before we were even thinking about moving to England. During my childhood I was bullied A LOT because of my teeth, people in my school used to call me rabbit teeth, Monica (a Brazilian cartoon character with really big teeth) and people were just mean to me in general. I remember one day after school I was on my way home and this guy from the year above was shouting across the road "Hey Rabbit want some carrots?" Baring in mind I was only 6 years old and situations like this can be very traumatising and yeah just not good at all for someone that age. So I just went home crying and went to my grandma's like nothing happened. I only had a few "friends" but even they used to call me names too, even people in my family like my older cousins would call me names! Yeah guys... bullying happens in the family too.

I was a very shy child and very quiet, but when with my parents I was myself. Even today I am still shy around new people because I just didn't have the opportunity to have a good social life back then and make friends. Well, in 2004 my parents decided to take me to the orthodontist. I was super excited because I REALLY wanted to get braces and not suffer any more bullying.

When we got there we took some pictures and X-Rays and I went through those horrible moments with things on my mouth and yeah, if you have braces you know what I am talking about. Back then I didn't know why they were taking so many X-Rays of my teeth and putting wax in my mouth. Well, the dentist has an idea of your teeth situation when they look at them but they need to see what is going on inside and the X-Rays help them.




The first braces that I wore were kind of like retainers (I don't know what they're called :( ) and they helped pull my teeth back and my jaw line. I couldn't wear other braces because I didn't have all my teeth yet. So, I wore those for a few years then I went on to the basic braces that everybody knows, the metal wired braces! When I first put them on they hurt so much, I felt like I would never be able to eat normal food again :( But it only lasted for about 2 weeks, during those weeks I was only eating soft food like soup, mash potatoes, ice cream for the pain!!

I wore just the metal wired braces alone for a few months then my dentist gave me head gears (they do not cover your whole face like in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). Fortunately I only wore the head gear to sleep. They had a wire that attached to the teeth at the back then go out of my mouth and they were super unconfortable to sleep. The head gear helped pull my top jaw back so my teeth are not sticking out too much.

I continued wearing those until 2010, then I took my braces off. My dentist told my parents and I that I should have continued for at least one more year. Unfortunately we just couldn't do it anymore because we were moving to England and we did not know any dentist to carry on with the treatment. My teeth were in a good place when I took them off and I was super happy. After I took them off I wore the retainers to keep them in place and I was sooo happy and I started making friends again and just way more happy than before.




When we moved to England my parents and I thought it was a good idea for me to stop wearing my retainers. BAD idea! A couple of years later my teeth slowly started moving back to the way it used to be. It wasn't very noticeable to other people but to me and my parents it was. I didn't want to wear braces again but I had to. I was kind of scared for the treatment because it was totally different. In this treatment in England I wore two kinds of braces. The first ones were at the top and bottom and they had blocks on the sides that would really hurt my jaw and I honestly could not talk at all. I was supposed to wear them at all times but because I didn't want to go through bullying again I only wore them at home (don't do this, it delays the whole process), I didn't even wear them in front of my boyfriend.

After a few years I stopped wearing them and went back to the traditional metal wired braces. Went through ALL the pain again, all the same process and I hated it. I wore just them alone for about 5 months, then I started wearing elastics on the side, I honestly have no idea what the elastics do, but I think they helped a lot. To be honest with you guys I hated my dentist, I had a different dentist every time I went there and they would all do something different and once one of them really messed up my teeth. I called my dentist up and said that I wanted the one specific dentist that I liked and WOW, what a difference. My teeth were quickly moving back to the right place and a few months later I took them off !!! YAY

I am so happy with the results, now I am just waiting to get my retainers and I will not take them off too soon !!! After all the pain that I had to go through, even when taking the braces off, I am really glad I did it because I am able to smile again. If you guys look back on my Instagram I never smiled and now I can :D I really recommend that you guys visit more than one dentist before you decide which one you want to do your treatment with. That is something I didn't do and I regret it because my treatment had a lot of problems and I just didn't know what was going on.

I hope you guys enjoyed this short story of my life, if you are going through the same thing or about to get braces then trust me, it is the best feeling when you see the final results.

Please leave your opinions in the comments down below.
Bye Lovelies xxx

My Instagram: @ninaschmitd

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts